Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Improvements and progress

So my last post was basically a vent about my life in general as a mother and wife. I must say over the past few weeks my life has improved quite a bit. I'll start with my marriage.

My husband Shaunn has always been a fairly selfish person. Recently however, he has really stepped up to the plate and been the husband I have wanted all my life. It's as if a magical light switch has flipped in his head and he gets it now. I started going to my mother's house to help her out on the weekends since my step dad is over seas and can't help her with the many daunting tasks she has on her 1/2 acre of land. I spend one or two nights at her house and return home on Sunday. This all started as a way to help her out and spend time with her and some how transformed into an amazing cure for our bland marriage. When I come home on Sunday there is this sort of renewed appreciation that him and I have for one another. We are happy to help each other out, happy to spend time together, and we remember why we are together in the first place.

I have no bitter feelings towards him at all any more. Two weeks ago I had so much resentment towards him for reasons I can't even explain and now all of that is gone. Every marriage is different and I can appreciate that spending time away from your spouse may not be good for you but for us this works. I think the longer you are with a person the harder it becomes to find new things to talk about, new ways to "spice" up your love life, and to appreciate what they bring to your family unit.

I can tell you with a shadow of a doubt that I am a lucky girl. My husband, despite his sometimes selfish behavior, is a very hard working man. He supports this family alone and ensures that we have the best life we possibly can under one persons salary. He is my crutch when I can't walk and my best friend for life.

My new project for this week is to find one thing everyday that I love about him and in some way without making it totally obvious, let him know what that is. I want him to know everyday how much I appreciate all he does for our family. I challenge other's to fight for what you have in your marriage. Something drew you to the person you are with and the day to day drag sometimes fogs up that reason. Divorce is not a word I use lightly. Divorce is a last resort and she be treated as such. Fight to find that common ground. Fight to find a way to make the pieces fit again. God bless and goodnight.
-Lainy

No comments: